Tips for Creative Inspiration
Getting motivated to paint
There are times when you just don't feel inspired at all and it can be quite
demoralising. Here are some tips for creative inspiration that I use and they work for
1. Stand at the easel with a large surface, close your eyes to pick a color, use the side of
the pastel and start with sweeping movements...oh, the music is blaring and the arm is in time! It's amazing
what happens. - very good exercise to do prior to starting a painting, it loosens you up.
2. Have a coffee painting session with a fellow artist or two - or a friend who's never
3. Actually if you help someone who has never worked with pastels, you'll be surprised at how
inspired you become - great motivator.
4. Take a camera and go for a walk - snap anything (use the camera!) - when
you come home have a look at what you've got - maybe even just part of a photo - or take something out of a
couple of photos and join them up
5. Off you go to a gallery - leave a sketch pad in the car and when you've finished in the
gallery take the sketch pad, go for a coffee and start jotting down ideas from what you've seen.
6. Go online and look at other people's paintings (oils,
acrylics, pastels etc) - you only need to see one painting or part of a painting that will inspire you for your
7. Go into the kitchen/lounge/or pick a room and put one, two or three items on the table and
start sketching - you may not end up painting what you've sketched, but the practice will motivate and
8. Go to a cafe with your sketch
pad and have a go at sketching something or some-one there....just know that they won't sit still for you, so
you'll have to be quick - great exercise in not worrying about the detail!
9. You could, of course, go along to your local library and check out
the art books. Sit down quietly (well you have to if you're at the library) with a small sketch pad and jot
down anything that inspires you.
If you have any tips for creative inspiration then
please write to me email@example.com and let me know - I'll add
them to the list.